Ice cream recipes
Chocolate Ice cream
100 g dark chocolate (70%)
300 ml full-fat milk
85 g sugar
3 free-range egg yolks
300 ml whipping cream
- Snap the chocolate into pieces, then place in a heavy-based saucepan with the milk.
- Heat gently, stirring, until smooth, then remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks in a bowl until pale and thick. Stir in the cooled chocolate milk, then strain back into the pan.
- Cook the custard over a gentle heat, stirring all the time, until it thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Don’t allow the mixture boil or it will curdle.
- Pour into a bowl and leave to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Once cooled, whip the cream into soft peaks, and fold through the chocolate mixture.
- Churn in an ice cream machine, according to the manufacturer’s instructions, until it’s frozen.